It's got to be pretty difficult being dead, when you're not.
On Monday, former NBA player Quinton Ross fought off rumors that he had been found dead and buried in a shallow grave on a beach after an erroneous report from the New York Post. Police say the actual victim, also named Quinton Ross, was stuffed into a trash bag and hidden away at Beach 40th Street.
It didn't take long for the initial report to make its rounds on the Internet and social networks.
"My phone was going crazy," Ross said. "I checked Facebook. Finally, I went on the Internet, and they were saying I was dead. I just couldn't believe it. A couple [relatives] already heard it. They were crying. I mean, it was a tough day, man, mostly for my family and friends."
The athlete said he immediately contacted loved ones and posted on Facebook that he was alive and well.
Ross played seven seasons in the NBA, suiting up for teams such as the Los Angeles Clippers and New Jersey Nets.
Authorities say they are awaiting autopsy results on the correctly identified victim, as the disposal of his body raised suspicions of foul play.
(Photo: Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images)