Jordan Davis Case: Jury Deliberates Michael Dunn’s Fate

News & Views | Gerren Keith Gaynor | 02/13/2014 | 11:30 AM EST

The high-profile murder trial has come to close, as jurors determine whether Dunn will face prison time

Michael Dunn, the man who claims he shot and killed 17-year-old Jordan Davis out of self-defense, is now at the mercy of a jury, as they determine whether or not he’s guilty of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder.

The 12 Florida jurors-- seven women and five men-- began deliberating shortly after 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Davis and his three friends were inside the red Dodge Durango that Dunn, 47, fired nine rounds of bullets into, three of which struck the teen, who was killed. After engaging a verbal dispute with the teens, Dunn says he believed Davis, who was sitting in the back passenger seat, had a weapon, prompting him to shoot. Police found no weapon in the vehicle at the scene of the crime.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys had one last chance to argue their cases to the jury before deliberation. Prosecutor Erin Wolfson delivered quite a different story than Dunn’s.

"This defendant, when he pulled up next to that SUV, his blood started to boil," Wolfson said. "He didn’t like the music that was coming out of the car next to him. He got angrier and angrier as that music irritated him. This defendant went crazy. He got angry at the fact that a 17-year-old kid decided not to listen to him... When he pulled out his gun, he shot to kill."

Dunn’s defense attorney, however, argued that prosecutors did not have any evidence to back their claim.

"An argument takes two,” Cory Strolla told the jury. “An argument goes back and forth. And not one single witness took that stand, under oath, and said this man [Dunn] yelled anything back at any time or said anything back in anger."

Still, prosecutor Wolfson argues that Davis’ murder was premeditated because Dunn fired a total of nine shots, and had enough time to reflect on his actions. Wolfson also brought a spotlight to the hours following the incident, when Dunn returned to his hotel room and then later drove home instead of calling police.

"This defendant didn't tell anyone because he thought he had gotten away with murder," said Wolfson.

If convicted, Dunn will face up to life in prison.

related stories

You're HIRED!

Omarosa Officially Joins Trump Transition Team

Get 'Moovn'

Black-owned ride-sharing app ‘Moovn’ Changes The Game

A Decade of Grief

Sean Bell’s Fiancée Reflects On Decade After Police Shooting

Secret Blame Game

Hillary Clinton Blames President Obama for Loss