Everyone knows a cheesy helping of Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Now, Chef and Owner of New York City's Red Rooster, Marcus Samuelsson has kicked it up a notch with marjoram, onions, and bacon. Basically, it's what's good for dinner.
Macaroni and Cheese alla Carbonara
(Serves 8, adapted from KitchenDaily)
1 pound macaroni
6 bacon slices,
chopped 3 garlic cloves
1 red onion,
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup water
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon chopped marjoram
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until really crispy, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and onions. Cook until the garlic is golden and the onions are translucent. Add 2 tablespoons bread crumbs to the mixture and toast. Set some of the mixture aside to use later as a topping.
2. Add cream and water to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese until melted. Set aside.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix cream mixture and cooked pasta.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and egg yolk, marjoram and grated Parmesan. Then, fold this mixture into the pasta, along with butter or olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs.