With several cookbooks, three restaurants, and a collection of cooking DVDs under her belt; it's safe to say B. Smith knows her way around the kitchen.
The former model, who has been flexing her culinary skills for over two decades, has a sweet corn and crab chowder recipe that is the perfect starter for a winter dinner party, or a simple, yet filling option for a family gathering.
The thought of this creamy warm blend of [real] crab meat, red potatoes, and sweet corn has me wanting a second helping already. Guaranteed, you won't be disappointed.
Sweet Corn and Crab Chowder Serves 6, adapted from B. Smith
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups homemade fish stock OR bottled clam juice
1/2 cup diced potato
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped white crabmeat
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and saut the onion and celery until softened.
2. Stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Gradually add the stock, whisking until you have a smooth liquid.
4. Add the potatoes, corn, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in the crabmeat and heavy cream and heat the soup gently but thoroughly. Do not let it boil or the soup may curdle. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.