Ever gone to the gym, sweated your life away on the treadmill or in an aerobics class, only to eat the entire fridge, or stopped at a fast food joint, once you got home because you were starving? Of course you have! But, you can stop sabotaging your workouts now. Don't believe the junk food demons, working out doesn't give you a pass to eat greasy, fatty, fried and processed foods on a regular basis, especially if your goal is to lose weight. Here are some tips from CentricTV.com's resident fitness expert and host of Get Fit W/ Nik, Nikki Kimbrough on what you should be eating before and after your workouts.
Before Your Workout:
If youve eaten within the last two and half to three hours, you should be okay before working out. If its been longer or you just feel like you need something, have a light snack about an hour prior to exercising. Make sure its high in protein. Examples of snacks: two to three boiled eggs, nuts, peanut butter on toast, cup of oatmeal, Greek yogurt, protein bar, or a protein shake. Stay away from sweets or refined sugar (i.e. cereal, bagels).
1. Protein shake blended with peanut butter and bananas or strawberries and banana or any fruit and one (1) scoop of whey protein
2. One (1) scoop of protein mixed with Almond Milk or 8-12 ounces of skim milk .
Egg white omelet with veggies inside or 4 scrambled egg whites with veggies inside
Two (2) slices of Turkey bacon
One (1) Cup of strawberries
Green tea and water
After you workout, your energy is depleted, muscle protein is dismantled and your muscles are inflamed; therefore, we have to restore. About an hour after working out, eat a healthy meal with right combination of protein, complex carbs and fat.
6 ounces of grilled chicken or fish
1 cup of green veggies
1 cup of brown rice
1 cup of fruit of choice or apple
1 cup of decaf tea or favorite herbal tea
Some other great post workout snacks include:
1. Whole grain or gluten free bread with Turkey slices and veggies and mustard
2. Fresh fruit and low-fat cheese
3. Handful of almonds and nuts w/fresh fruit
4. Protein shake blended with banana and/or fresh fruit
5. Whole wheat pit bread w/hummus
6. Tuna drizzled with lemon juice or olive oil spread over a slice of whole wheat or gluten free bread
7. Grilled Chicken and a cup of brown rice
8. Cup of oatmeal
9. Low-fat cottage cheese and piece of fresh fruit