Janet Jackson has issued an apology to fans after her team shut down the Instagram accounts of fans who posted videos from her Unbreakable tour.
Complaints began to roll in earlier this week when fans said their accounts had been deleted after posting the concert footage. Many said they received an email from Instagram stating "a third party reported that the content violates their copyright."
Jackson addressed the issue Wednesday afternoon on Twitter, stating:
"Hey you guys, I have been listening...
I love and appreciate my fans. I want you to know that I enjoy watching the short video clips of how you are Burning It Up at the Unbreakable shows. Please keep posting them.
My team is passionate about protecting the intellectual property we are creating for the tour and possible future projects. It was never their intention, acting on my behalf, to have social media accounts removed. Permitting the use of long clips does present a contractual problem for these projects. I hope you understand. I trust the fans will use their short recordings for their own memories and to share on their social media networks of choice.
I have asked my team to change their approach and allow you to engage socially with these videos.
I know I wouldn't be here without the love I stand on."
A rep for Instagram blamed the issue on a "bug" and says they have reinstated the suspended accounts, but "repeat infringers'" will have their accounts deleted.